Tuesday, January 6, 2015

First Impressions

After one weekend in Vasa here are a few of my impressions/thoughts:
  • Washington is not cold. Vasa is cold. Yesterday (Monday) the high was 10 degrees F with the windchill making it feel like 1-5 degrees F depending on the time of day. 
  • While having the sun set by 3:15pm is strange and not my favorite part of Finland so far, the sunsets in Vasa are amazing. I am living about 200 meters away from the sea and the colors at sunset are spectacular. Pictures to come. 
  • I can handle the cold as long as I wear lots of layers. Who knew I would be excited to go exploring/out on a walk on my own when the weather is in single digits? 
  • Being multi-lingual is more the norm than the exception in Finland. Most people speak at least Finnish, Swedish, and English. I am constantly impressed by how easily people are able to switch between languages; especially the daughter of my host who is fluent in four languages and is not even a teenager herself yet. 
  • Young cats are hilarious especially my host cat, Oliver. He is only 5 months old and he loves playing with your feet, your computer cable!, your pants, any string, and trying to chew on your laptop. 

Today is a national holiday to honor the 12th Day of Christmas so everything is closed. I am going with my host family to take a sea bath at their club today. So, wish me luck and look for a video either today or tomorrow. 

Tomorrow, Wednesday, is my first day of student teaching in Vasa so things are about to get busy. 

Have a wonderful week and I will talk to you again soon. 


Vasa skyline near sunset (about 3:30pm) on Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015. Note the frozen parts of the sea near the shoreline. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrea are you still around? I was on exchange in Bham in the 1990s and live in Vaasa. Would have been so much fun to meet!

    ReplyDelete